Sunday, December 9, 2007

HARD TIMES by Chickens

The name Hard Times, I think is really suitable for this book of Charles Dickens who I prefer to call Chickens. My reason for that is my feeling towards the atmosphere of this book. I don’t know if you have ever felt Hard or not but if you put yourself in the place of the characters like Louisa, you will really feel Hard. The book was based on the idea of always using facts and never even to mention emotions. Of course this was the idea of the main character named Mr. Gradgrind. He, at the beginning of the novel was shown to teach his school children to make their lives upon facts, numbers and quantity. He always insisted that 2 times 2 is always 4 and nothing else…
Mr. Gradgrind brought up his children upon this idea, however, they wished to live in a different way. Of course the result was a girl as Louisa who had no art, no emotion and no other sign of femininity. She was made to marry an old man named Bounderby whose idea was similarly facts and facts…
It is really useful to sometimes use your hear, use your emotions during your life. Sometimes your heart will tell you something that your mind is not capable of telling. I have experienced it many many times in my life. I’ve referred to my heart while making decisions, I have treated people according to my heart, I’ve done many things according to my heart and the result was wonderful. The least important is that I’ve become happy and contented and this has motivated me and has given me energy….
Unfortunately there are always some people always who believe in facts and worse than that is their making others to follow their strict idea… This is what makes people unhappy, these kinds of people especially those who are forced to live like that are always miserable…It is really annoying to do what you want according to the facts while your heart and your emotions tell something exactly opposite and what THEY say is more appealing to you… So it was really a HARD TIME for those who were forced to live for facts…
I haven’t finished the novel yet, but as far as I read it, I really felt myself feeling Hard and annoyed, remembering the situations I have to follow the facts not what my heart wants.
This doesn’t mean that facts are always stupid, but it is actually stupid to ALWAYS follow the facts….

No comments: